Preschool has been rough lately, but Luke has been bringing home some little gems:
*The paper plate face sparked an interest in googly eyes, so we had to go and buy a bag of our own.
*The bottom thing is a "patter-in," which was glued solely and completely by Luke and Luke alone! He's got skills!

A couple more...

Now, perhaps the most important thing Luke has made or will ever make:

This was a note that Miss Linda helped Luke write after a particularly difficult drop off this morning. Luke was very sad and I ended up having a small (or medium) breakdown. She called me after I left to let me know that he was fine. She asked him if he wanted to write me a note and he said he did. He said, "Tell her what you tell me..." I am considering having a copy of this note tattooed on my arm or something. Anyway, after dropping him off I decided to go shopping to make myself feel better. One of the things that the teachers have been telling me is to try to build confidence in Luke by letting him have choices and make decisions on his own. I decided to start this early with Lance, so I let him pick out his own new shoes. He had fun getting his feet measured and looking at all the different shoes, but it was a no-brainer for him. He went for the
light-up sports shoes:

These wouldn't have been my first (or second or third!) choice, but if it means he won't cry when he gets to preschool, then so be it!!!
5 comments:
Luke looks like Matt in that pic where he's holding the note. Love it. You are such a good mama to let Lancey pick his own shoes! I always tell my kids they can have any pair with a red tag on them (meaning ON SALE) that AREN'T light up shoes. :) You are much nicer than me. He's gonna be so happy in those sporty shoes! (this is Aimee...not Miles, by the way)
I keep a note on my fridge that says "You will be fine" that Alyvia wrote when she was five. I don't know what compelled her to write it but its a good reminder when things get crazy...
It is SO hard to let go of that control- letting 'em pick out their clothes ("But Mom, they both have stripes so they match!"), do their own hair, etc...
way to let him pick out his shoes!
That's so cute, Anna Min! I'm glad you can relate a little...
Preschool is such a challenge--lots of tears and not wanting to go. I told Matt I wish we could just go live in the woods somewhere and not have to deal with it!
aahh lindsay this is so hard.
i remember last year weeks of leaving the class and simon was looking at me forlornly with his bottom lip sticking out and CROCODILE tears--i wanted to run to the woods!
i'm impressed that you went and bought something useful for somebody else. i would've probably bought chocolate, for me, for NOW.
i'm glad that luke has a good teacher--that's what made the biggest difference for me, feeling like his teach was my ally.
I love "patter-ins"! I would frame that note and hang it in my bedroom. It's always nice to have a reminder to relax. You are always welcome to come live in the woods with me.
Post a Comment